Monday 26 May 2014

To dream the impossible dream

We lived a relatively happy existence in our 3 bedroom house in Hertfordshire, but the last 2 or 3 years brought sadness and frustration broken only by the birth of our gorgeous Munchkin. It all started well, my husband and I had an amazing wedding in the Caribbean, which went all too quickly as these things tend to do. Then my husband was made redundant a week before we were due to leave - he got a job quite quickly after and was excited to be working for a big firm that turned over billions. However, in hindsight, I guess that was when it started to go down hill. My lovely Father-in-Law was diagnosed with lung cancer, the second family member to be taken by this horrible disease. We miscarried after trying for our second after being elated that at least something was still easy. There seemed to be no end to the storm that raged down on us, but through it all our Munchkin shone like a beacon guiding us through the murky mist.

Something had to give though, there was no longer that blithe hope that things will get better. We were so down trodden that all we could smell was the mud. And still it rained, thick raindrops that drench you in one. Then out of the blue, I get a message from my husband: "How would you like to live in Vancouver?" I read it several times wondering if it were a misguided joke, wondering how to respond, my brain fuzzy (we hadn't realised we had lost the baby at this point and tired of feeling sick I had very little humour left inside me.) But I summoned up some cheer from deep inside and replied: "Yes, but why?" Apparently he had been head hunted by a firm in Canada. After a long process he was given the job, but in Edmonton, not Vancouver.

This is where our story begins. This is where our fortunes started to change. This is where we started to see a glimmer of light at the end of the long, long tunnel.

Follow me, if you will, on an adventure as we re purpose our lives in foreign country, where the winters are long and cold and the summers are short. As I muse about our journey through life, setting up home for a second time, discuss parenting and anything else that I find interesting and want to share with the world.

The road was not paved with gold in this land of opportunity, but it seems to be a lot smoother than the one we left behind!